Thursday, 8 March 2012

Waze - The Social GPS App

I first came across Waze must have been a year or so ago, but it was quickly deleted from my iPhone. You see, Waze is a social GPS navigation app. When I first used it, there were no other Wazers in my area and the app seemed quite unrefined.

Three weeks ago, I tried it again. After all, version 3.1 was now out. The interface and artwork has been redesigned and is now much more enjoyable to use. The second thing that struck me - how many people now use it. I see Wazers driving passed me on the A47 and some parked down nearby cul-de-sacs. This can surely only get better.

Waze was far more social than I first realised. The maps are community based! I have since been using some of my free time with updating Norwich as Area Manager. It takes about 10 days for the system to push changes I make down to the phones that use them. A far cry from the year or so it takes for your old GPS software to send you a new map for the UK! The aim is to get the delay down to 24-48 hours, but I'm not complaining. If you feel theres a map error in Norwich or its suburbs, then please don't hesitate to message me.

 All in all, I am now addicted to Waze. The candies are a bonus ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment